Saturday, January 13, 2018

Depth of winter

We have been bitterly cold with single digit temperatures for a couple of weeks, then two lovely days of 60F/15.5C before weather returned to the chilly teens. I have noticed how often I begin my blog with a mini weather report, but frankly climate change is apparent in my area and I am obsessed. At least, the winter blooming plants are still on schedule, my 30 year old Cymbidium orchid is flowering. I leave it on my front porch all summer and into fall until temps are about 50F, then shelter it in my chilly basement under artificial lights. This year its blooms are lovely. See care here https://www.thespruce.com/grow-cymbidium-orchids-1902836

We welcomed the New Year in with temps so cold my champagne was frosting the glass! Of course, I got chilled and then the "flu" hit a couple of days later. I haven't been sick, not bedridden (as I was) for over ten years, but this viral infection laid me low. Thank goodness for Extra Strength Tylenol, carbonated water, Airborne and Progresso Lemon Orzo soup. So while I was over the acute "flu" phase eight days ago, I am still coughing. Apparently, this cough can last up to six weeks, so I am just  trying to stay warm, rest and hydrate until the cough resolves.

Consequently, reading and knitting have been high on my activities list. Here are a few of the novels I have finished so far this year: Ghost Bride, by Yangze Choo, Three Souls and Dragon Springs Road, both by Janie Chang and finally, Love and Other Consolation Prizes, by Jaime Ford. A bit of a theme going here, but pre-war China and Malaysia are fascinating and Ford's book is an enlightening window to Seattle society at the time of the 1909 World's Fair.

On the needles right now are my stashed Icelandic Lettlopi Yarn skeins 109 yds, in colors that reminded me of the Icelandic landscape. I am knitting Mary Jane Mucklestone's Flying Geese Cowl, see on Ravelry here https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/flying-geese-cowl 
I am hoping this pattern will show off the lovely complementary colors of this yarn. So, I will brew myself another cuppa tea and settle in for a quiet evening


No comments:

Post a Comment