Thursday, December 25, 2014

Happy Knitted Gifts!

Now that the gifts have been opened and I won't be spoiling any recipient's surprise, I can reveal the results of the holiday knitting projects. I really enjoyed knitting up the ribbed neck warmers with the charming Laurel Burch cat face button. Of course, I found the buttons first and then had to find a project that would feature them. Happily, a free Ravelry download was the perfect solution, see here http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ribbed-neck-warmer The only change I made to the pattern was the buttonhole; which I switched to a one row buttonhole instead of  the scrap yarn buttonhole the pattern designer suggested. Truly, the only reason I made this change was I was clueless as to how to do any other type of buttonhole, so make your own decision when you get to that point. The pattern used approximately a 1/2 skein of worsted weight Berroco Vintage yarn (washable blend) done on a size 9 needle. The stripe is Vintage Colors-Oasis #5222 and the solid is Vintage-Ruby #51181. The the 4 stitch ribbing gave cozy heft, almost a feeling of double thickness when buttoned and the Berroco yarn is comfortably soft on tender necks. Definitely a handy pattern for using up partial balls of yarn and the 22" length makes this a  fairly quick project. I am planning to make a couple more!

I also made two of these double cable hats, one in Forest Green out of  Encore worsted color #0204 and the one pictured here in Berroco Vintage worsted -Indigo #51182. I used size 8 needles and enjoyed the cable shift immensely. Another terrific free Ravelry download see here http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/utopia-cable-hat This hat is mesmerizing to look at, seriously that attractive and uses a little more than half of a 200yd. skein of yarn to cover the wearer's ears.

So here it is, Christmas day and I am without a knitting project... It feels really strange and my hands are restless. I was so anxious trying to finish these projects in time to mail, but now I am missing the pleasure of knitting something pretty & useful. My sister mentioned she would like a headband out of the same Mochi Plus yarn she received a hat in, last Christmas. Hmmm, I do have a ball and a half left; sounds like the perfect cure for restless fingers!



No comments:

Post a Comment