Thursday, January 31, 2013

Is it or is it not wintertime?

 I am beginning to feel a bit weather obsessed considering earlier this week saw temperatures around 68 degrees and today, there are snow flurries. My seasonal mindset is truly being messed with!

I consider, no actually plan on, January and most of February to be hibernation months; time to snuggle under my duvet and read a good book, knit soft wooly items and warm my hands on hot cups of tea. I do not want to be compelled to catch some sun outside or consider extra errand running because the roads aren't snowy. I am perfectly happy hunkered down and taking some extra vitamin D.

So today, in honor of the return of proper chilly winter weather I made soup. This recipe I originally got from my friend Trish, but I am always tinkering with ingredients and now it is a bit different. Enjoy!

                                    Hamburger Soup
1-lb. ground beef, browned in skillet & drain off grease
 In a 6 QT. soup pot-saute in olive oil until soft, about 3-5 minutes
2 large onions, sliced
3 stalks of celery, chopped or 1 zucchini, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced

Add to the vegetables:
2-14.5 oz.cans low sodium beef broth
2 cups water
2-28 oz. cans of peeled whole tomatoes, slice & dice, add all juice
Season generously with oregano and black pepper

Once the soup is simmering:
Add in the meat & 1-1/2  cups uncooked elbow macaroni
Cook 30 minutes uncovered, over medium heat for mild bubbling, so the pasta cooks
Top with fresh grated Parmesan cheese
Makes about 8 generous bowls
-------------
For a quicker put together SKIP the onions,broth & water. Do saute the celery &garlic, then  
Substitute 3-10.5 oz. cans of Campbell's French Onion soup with 2 cans of water for each soup can
Follow on with the recipe as written

No comments:

Post a Comment