Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Life changes

The brutality at work continues... Our "mad dog" manager is finding ever more creative ways to bring stress and the threat of firing into the workplace. As a group we have conformed to her irrational schedules and random new rules; which she screams out repeatedly during the shift, so we all can hear. Since she has been unable so far, to write up a significant number of employees for ignoring her directions, she has now devised a disciplinary plan to place us on warning for minor errors.

 As you  might assume, I work on an assembly line of sorts and move about 3700 items on my shift. In an average month I handle about 74,000 items with only 4 errors on average, at about 1000 pieces per hour. At this point, no one knows how many warnings will lead to suspension or firing and apparently we will not be told... So the piece per hour rate has been plummeting in our department. I am aggrieved at the injustice of it all!

I try not to let this situation influence the rest of my day, but it does and I am sad. At the moment, I am stuck in this job because as my family's sole provider, I need the benefits. I am trying to learn something positive
Ancient Indian petroglyph at Elephant Rocks State Park
from this situation; optimistically thinking there is a lesson in this scenario that will be a source of wisdom, but for the life of me I am baffled. I want to believe the good guys always win, but obviously that is my naivete showing, evil abounds.

Such first world problems! I am grateful for food, shelter and family. I am healthy, creative, clothed and I have some money set aside for emergencies. I know I am blessed and in reality, this is just a small part of my day, I need to let it go. I am being forced to the edge of the cliff to make a step into the abyss of the unknown. To quote Bob Dylan, "the times they are a-changin'..."

No comments:

Post a Comment