Sunday, December 29, 2013

Auld Lang Syne

After the hustle and bustle of Christmas it seems natural to sit back and contemplate the remains of the year. I linger with a cuppa tea in my rocker, simply staring at the lit Christmas tree remembering holidays past, then finally digressing into memories accrued in 2013. It seems a necessary sweep of the waning year to consider events or decisions made and glean a bit of wisdom from them for guidance in the new year. Not a "should'a-could'a-would'a" pining but a hmm... what did I learn and what shall I do, perhaps, differently. I have long thought life events happen for a reason that can neither be rushed or even foreseen in their long term effects. Not to say I just sail along for the ride, but instead, "finger stirring the pot," I try to intelligently plot choices making positive life course directions or at least what I consider forward motion. All very subjective this annual philosophizing, but somehow appropriate in the cold, dark days of winter.

I have been waffling, actually fearful of taking the next educational step in my plans for my future. You know all the reasons to delay big changes too I bet, like...it's too expensive, a big time and energy commitment, how will I fit it into my schedule, or the totally unanswerable, is this the right move? I have again re-read my April 15, 2013 post, On Fear, and have concluded I just need to step off another cliff and be done with it. Even having stepped off a couple of metaphorical cliffs previously, the first step is always a shock that I am never thrilled to repeat. I'm pumping myself up with the Holstee Manifesto which is pinned to the curtain in front of my computer. For those of you uninitiated, visit here for a read and scroll down for a terrific video, http://shop.holstee.com/pages/manifesto . It may sound childish, selfish or hipster, but as you get older this manifesto is a good reminder to kick yourself in the pants & get the lead out, time is slipping by a little faster and...What do you want to accomplish with your life? I would hate to have geriatric regrets from a missed opportunity.

So New Year's eve, while I am freezing outside, clutching a glass of champagne and watching my son light fireworks to bring in 2014, I'll toast a new year with growing bravery for new challenges. Happy New Year to all! Remember when you sing Auld Lang Syne, written by Scotsman, Robert Burns in1788 it's about remembering the past kindly while sharing that drink, and even though we've worked and wearied this year gone, the song ends with, "And there’s a hand my trusty friend !
                                               And give me a hand o’ thine !
                                               And we’ll take a right good-will draught,
                                                for auld lang syne"  (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auld_Lang_Syne ).


No comments:

Post a Comment